US citizens in Scotland: How to renew your passport
website states that if you reside in Scotland you must send your passport to London to renew it, but this is not correct: passports can be renewed by mail to the US consulate in Edinburgh or in person. I renewed in person last week, and found the staff friendly and helpful. They know that the website is incorrect, but London has not yet fixed it. I copy below the information I received from the Edinburgh consulate, in the hope that it may help others.
Thank you for your email. If you meet the following criteria you are eligible to renew your passport by mail:1. Your passport was valid for 10 years;
2. It was issued within the last 15 years;
3. It is in good condition;
4. Was issued in your current name or you have changed your name and can submit legal documentation (e.g. marriage certificate, Statutory Declaration) to prove this change.
You can mail your renewal application to this office using the address at the foot of this email. The passport must be sent using the Royal Mail special delivery service and the following items must be sent:1. The passport to be renewed;
2. Your original marriage certificate, if you wish to change your name by marriage, or Statutory Declaration, if you wish to change your name by this method;
3. Completed passport renewal form DS82, http://www.state.gov/
documents/organization/212241. pdf. Please note: if your current passport was issued within 12 months of this application and you are applying for a new passport in your married name or to correct a data error you should use form DS5504, http://www.state.gov/ documents/organization/212249. pdf;
4. Completed credit card payment form for the fee of $110 - no fee is payable if you are able to use form DS5504 to apply for a replacement passport, http://photos.state.gov/
libraries/unitedkingdom/ 164203/cons-acs/card_payment_ ppt_by_mail.pdf;
5. A U.S. passport photograph, https://uk.usembassy.gov/u-s-
citizen-services/u-s- passports/how-to-renew-a- passport/photographs/;
6. A pre-paid, self-addressed Royal Mail special delivery envelope for the safe return of the passports.
Our turnaround time for applications by mail is approximately 2 weeks.If you prefer to apply in person you can do so during our counter service hours, 9am-11:30am Tuesdays and Wednesdays. No appointment is necessary. Our turnaround time for passports submitted in person is approximately 7-10 days from submission of the application.If you do not meet the above criteria you will have to book an appointment online, selecting the option for residents of Scotland, to apply in person at the Consulate General, https://uk.usembassy.gov/u-s-
citizen-services/u-s- passports/.Kind regardsU.S. Consulate General3 Regent TerraceEdinburghEH7 5BWTel: (44) 131 556 8315Follow us on Twitter - @USAinScotland